June 17, 2009

alive...oh yes...I am quite alive...

Sometimes I feel like we just arrived here in Japan and other times I feel like ManInCharge and I have been here forever. This time last year we were in Colorado, having closed a five-year long chapter in our history. The cross-country move was fun {though even now I cringe when I think about the scratches on the furniture} and best of all, our North Carolina world blended beautifully with our time in the Rockies. As I look to our future, I am becoming aware that I will probably always be a Tarheel and this fact makes our time in the shadow of Pikes Peak a precious memory.

So in light of this trip down memory lane {induced by the fact that I have yet to upload my latest pictures}, let me tell you where I was a year ago.

Last summer I shared a dorm room with my mom. Not once, but twice. The first time was in Fort Collins and the second at Swathmore. There is nothing like visiting your mom at college as a 28 year-old. {I was compelled to offer to make her bed...much like she always insisted when dropping me off at college.}

But, I am getting ahead of myself.

I took a solo road trip from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins. It was AP Reading time and Mom was in the middle of her "summer spa vacation." I was thrilled to be bunking with mom, walking with the gang to Starbucks and generally being shown off to some of the greatest history teachers in America. We explored the town and made some precious memories. This week I really miss my Mom. I was the first family member to see this part of Mom's life and she was a grand tour guide and host. I can only hope to be lucky enough to gate crash the AP Readings again. History teachers are awesome. Next time I hope my car has air conditioning.

I carry Mom with me everyday that I enter the classroom. As her daughter I was one of her three most ornery students and she has taught me so much. I hope to grow into my profession and be half the teacher she is someday. This week, however I haven't been thinking of Mom the Teacher, I have been thinking about Mom the Friend. I am lucky to have such a good friend and I cannot wait to share adventures, whether it be on my turf {Japan, the country that she got to first and recommended with maps and books} or in the Tarheel state. Where ever our next adventure happens, it can't come soon enough!

I leave you tonight with some photos from our high times in Colorado, sans a photo of us both, because...neither one of us looks too hot in that one...laugh! I miss you Mom, I can't wait to see you again...


2 comments:

Fabrício said...

Hey, nice pics!

Sirmelja said...

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Tar Heel out exploring the world! I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails