December 31, 2009

New Years Eve Meme

Here I am sitting beside ManInCharge on New Year’s Eve. The sun has set, and there is a snow storm brewing outside. We spent the afternoon in a cozy jewelry shop in a beautiful craftsmen’s’ quarter of Matsumoto. I have the black eyed peas soaking on the stove, this New Years Eve we will have a typical North Carolina dinner in honor of our returning home in 2010. I saw this on Musings of a Housewife and thought I would join in and pass it along while I wait for the beans.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I received my scuba license. I am a swimmer; I have been one since I was bribed to cross the pool with a MyLittlePony waiting me at the other end when I was either three or four. Never have I experienced such peace and tranquility in water as I do when I am diving.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I think this year was one of tremendous growth, but I’m not sure I made a resolution. My resolution for 2010 is to live with ferocity…it being the year of the tiger.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
YES! My sister brought the most beautiful child into this world just a few short days ago. Congratulations MSL.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my husband’s mentor and one of the greatest men I have ever had the chance to meet, Phil Mathis.
5. What countries did you visit?
Thailand and Cambodia, and I suppose Japan, but I wonder if it counts since we live here. I spent zero days of this year in the US.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A summer garden.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 1 – the day we walked Angkor Wat
August 22 – the day that we summitted Mt. Fuji
October 9 – the day that I ran a marathon for the first time
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Crossing the lines from medically obese to overweight and then into healthy for the first time this decade.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not learning how to say no.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I lost a toenail, had a few bruises but praise Him, I have been fit as a fiddle.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Solid shampoo from LUSH is my guilty pleasure, splurge and best purchase of the year. It makes the fact that our bathroom dips below freezing much more tolerable.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
ManInCharge
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Probably, myself…
14. Where did most of your money go?
Into our savings account…win!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Everything…I have an overactive sense of amazement and wonder…but mainly the fruit. Japan has AMAZING fruit.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Just Dance – Lady Gaga
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
I am happier, thinner, and richer…2009 was a good year.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Camping
Hiking
Swimming
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Working weekends.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Cooking, cleaning and relaxing. It was a marked improvement from 2008 when I had work.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Every day.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
This Week with George Stephanopoulos ~ though really only when George Will was on the roundtable
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Seriously, hate is such a downer.
24. What was the best book you read?
Non-fiction? The Omnivore’s Dilemma – hands down.
Fiction? The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. {I have had three copies of this pass through my hands: one by accident & passed to a dear friend; one as a personal purchase and has now been donated to my school’s library; and the final one as a Christmas gift from my dear mom, who, knows her middle kid incredibly well.}
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sadly I have not one musical discovery this year.
26. What did you want and get?
Belief in myself
A renewed faith in the Lord
27. What did you want and not get?
To go home for Christmas
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don’t think I really have a favorite, though I did enjoy getting out to the movies twice this year, once to see Star Trek and once to see Taken. Neither were particularly great, but the popcorn made the 2000 yen cost per person almost worth it for ManInCharge and myself.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30 this year and cut my bangs. I also had a fancy coffee at Starbucks as a treat.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Insulation, Central Heating and Air Conditioning
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Days~of~the~Week outfits. Like the underpants from our childhood I dressed in roughly the same outfit in differing colors this year. Thank heavens for UNIQLO.
32. What kept you sane?
ManInCharge, it’s his job.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
ManInCharge. In Japan he is famous.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Landmines in Cambodia.
35. Who did you miss?
My mom, my dad my sisters, my brothers, my baby niece. Living an ocean away from your family is tough on a girl.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Louise. She is an exchange student at our school. I have NEVER met a young person so well adjusted, so poised, so perfect in every way. I have loved having her as a student, watching her give to all of her classmates and continue to blossom into an AMAZING WOMAN!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I learned so much about food, I don’t know where to begin, but I feel like I should come up with something more philosophical than “raw milk doesn’t make my stomach ache” and “whole food is where it’s at.” But truly, while I re-learned plenty about people and relationships and the fragility of life, there was nothing that was terribly new.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far and Grace will lead me home.”


Though this meme is fairly long and a bit like a FaceBook poll, I thoughht it was a good way to reflect upon the year. Feel free to grab and post your own version. If you do, please leave your link in my comment, I would love to read how the year just past has been for you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails