May 17, 2010

Back to Basics: A Tale of Listening and Skincare

Listening is not my strong suit.  Sometimes it takes quite a while for the advice of my spouse to permeate my brain.  Even when he knows best, like in the case of finding an excellent moisturizer.

Since arriving in Japan my relatively agreeable, low maintenance skin became unmanageable and uncomfortable.  I tried almost everything - expensive salves, top of the line liquid soaps, three part cleanser/toner/moisturizers and yet my skin was still a mess.  You know - dry and scaly in patches, red and itchy in places and oily and greasy in others.  As is typical for my long suffering spouse, I finally threw in the towel and decided to give his suggestion a shot:

Who would have thought?  Not me.  I expected it to be greasy and oily and heavy - all of the things my earlier efforts had promised they were not, but were.  But it works.  It is also an incredibly low cost solution, which is right up my alley.  {Yay for our budget!}

While I am over the moon about the results, I am not a massive fan of committing myself to a lifetime of using a petroleum by-product as a moisturizer.  The plan when we arrive stateside I might shift from mineral oil to a more suitable plant based oil.  However, with between eight and nine weeks left before we relocate our household halfway around the globe, the time for further experimentation is not now.  I have friends who have great success with olive oil - but I fear I would walk around licking myself all day.  Thoughts?

I must remember to listen to Phil.  He makes the most sensible suggestions, even in subject areas that I wouldn't usually anticipate his knowledge, he is inevitably wise.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails