May 16, 2010

Erasing Entitlement

originally uploaded by Isaac D.

clover garden spring
once concrete stone poisoned weeds
had become heaven

The sight sparked a four-leaf search desire in LilSis.
The sight caused Phil to reflect upon clover as a suitable ground cover.
The sight inspired me to cut the clover with my scissors.

Now I have a blister on the index finger of my right hand.  My whole body is perfumed with the sweetness of the freshly cut green.  Phil is out relaxing in the sun, waving farewell to his cold amongst the young clover leaves that have already begun to reach high to the sky, breathing in the space that their newly decapitated big brothers have left for them.  All I know about clover is that cows love it.  And cows that chew on it make sweet milk.  I learned this from Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms as quoted in The Ominvore's Dilemma.  This makes me like clover intensely, because I also am a fan of sweet clover milk.

While I was trimming away, my mind wandered to the many blessings in my life. I am a fairly highly educated woman. I have lived on three continents in my adulthood.  I am married to a strong and capable man who also happens to be my best friend and who makes me laugh so hard that I can't breathe.  I am privileged enough to be able to achieve the life of my dreams.  In nine weeks I get to begin my dream job.  What a lucky girl I am.  This is so not all down to me.  I am this blessed, this lucky, because of the hard work of my parents and grandparents and all of those who came before.  I have the nation I was born in to thank.  I have the Lord above to praise.  It's actually not really about me at all, now that I think about it.

As an American woman I have been granted many opportunities that I often take for granted. Since moving to Japan, a nation that ranks this year as 101st in gender discrimination, I have become aware of the difference between blessing and entitlement. 

So much of what I have been blessed with I had begun to see as an entitlement, as a basic right. How very silly of me indeed. I am so lucky, so blessed to be able to live this life I have been gifted with. Everyday thinking to myself, erasing my sense of entitlement, and instead, being truly grateful for the bountiful field of clover at my feet.  Excuse me - the sun and my husband are beckoning me outside once more.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails