June 3, 2010

Robbed...in Japan?

This morning was the second time crime has disrupted our lives in Japan.  I thought this was supposed to be the safest place on Earth.  This morning I was so happy.  I was singing along to THE GREATEST MIX CD EVER {courtesy of LilSis} and decided to pop into my favorite Lawson's convenience store to grab lunch and some chocolates for my students.  {The same combini where Phil and I procured our Hello Kitty apple bread.}

As I rounded the corner at the Jonan intersection I was met with a grim scene - yellow police tape and a crew of forensics officers gathering evidence at MY COMBINI!  I promptly overreacted and decided there had been a murder.  Japanese police are so serious.  They were very somber for anything less than that.  Then I worried that it might be my favorite clerk.

 
Above is the local news piece on the incident.  It turns out that last night at 3am {on the morning of June 3rd} a man with a knife entered the store and stole 120,000 yen {about $1200.00}.  The clerks on duty were not injured.  The man was between 20 and 40 and wore a black hooded sweatshirt, black pants and a pair of black sunglasses.  Another sign that wearing sunglasses at night is not cool.


I almost stopped in as a sign of solidarity to buy something on the way home, but, well...there were no cars in the parking lot and I felt a bit timid - so I just drove on.  Phil and I will be back next Tuesday and hopefully so will our favorite clerk.  I'm glad no body was hurt.

In addition to this breakfast halting debacle - a lunch money klepto has been pillaging the wallets of my students at one school and a pair bike thieves keep "borrowing" their classmates' bikes at my other school for free rides to the train station.  Japan, you are falling apart.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Of course you're still much safer than you would be in the states or probably anywhere else! It's good no one was hurt. I miss Japanese convenience stores. The stores here in the states may have a few of the comfort snacks from my time in Japan but it's never anywhere near the same.

sillygirltree said...

Your right on all three counts!

I was a bit silly in my reporting - the incident caused me such shock and relief.

I will definitely miss the ever changing variety of our local convenience stores and Japanese snack foods always seem to come in a perfect size.

Jeanette said...

It would be shocking. I really can't remember any crime when I lived there in the late 80's early 90's. I'm sure there was but nothing like here in the states.

I miss the candy and chips the most. Out of the drinks I love the Oronamin C and Georgia Coffee drinks but they are so expensive here when I can find them. My brother still lives in Yokosuka so if I really want something he'll send it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails