June 17, 2010

...shaping change...


One of my favorite things to do is to watch people work in their gardens.  It eases my itchy fingers as I watch, I giggle at becoming a vicarious gardener.  Due to the reality of population density in Japan, gardening is a very public endeavor here.  Sometimes it seems as if every free piece of land has been turned into a rice paddy or vegetable patch.

I like to remind myself that this is the kind of change I want to create - as a woman, as a wife and as a mother - shaping my world through careful cultivation.  Gardening is a great metaphor for shaping change in our lives.  Change takes planning, it takes time, it takes a lot of back breaking work.  It takes care, patience, diligence.  It takes attention to detail and being able to see the big picture.  Most importantly it takes faith.  Without a belief in what is to come, why would we ever bother tilling the soil?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails