July 15, 2010

chalking it up to a job well done

The rains have continued to come down in our corner of the world.  To the south west of us landslides are affecting parts of our prefecture.  This morning as I drove over the head of the Tenryu River, I glanced to my left and saw something I had never seen.  The flood gates were all down and water was pouring across the dam.  The river was less than three feet lower than the lake.  Below is a mudslide across a national road in Ida caused by the heavy rains and swollen river.  I apologize for the graininess, it comes from this article on the flooding.  While I understand that the southeast of the US is crying out for rain, we are calling for a respite.


In other news, I made a farewell speech today.  There is a huge part of me that will miss having 500 rowdy teenagers screaming their love for me.  I managed to not say anything too ridiculous or cheesy, though I might have invited the entire school to come visit me.  {To a shower of whoops and cat calls.}

I was a bit floored when I was presented with a token of gratitude.  I'll leave it at that and let the pictures speak for themselves.  This, I believe, I can chalk up to a job well done.  It feels good to have done my best, when sometimes it really wasn't easy.


Philip forgave my unexpected lateness when I walked in the door.  I had a lot of people to say goodbye to and to thank for the kindness that they have given to me over the last two years.  There are good people everywhere.  I have found that focusing my energies on loving bears fruit.  Or in this case flowers.


One of Phil's cousins wrote something that resonated with me today.  She is also teaching abroad and for her first year, blogged a bit about the experience.  She wrote of how she expected to share all of her adventures with her friends and family, but discovered she didn't quite know how to share about her life.  That is something I get.  What happens when you promise adventure, and yet your experience is just life?  At some point very soon after we arrived in Japan, our adventure rapidly became normal life.  It's just the everyday stuff that we all do, no matter where we are.  Much of it isn't worth sharing and more of it isn't appropriate to share.  Now if you'll excuse me I have some flowers to arrange.

2 comments:

Melodramamma said...

Yay! Love the blog and your updates. Just now found it! Will be checking in. Congrats on finishing up such an exciting year. Can't wait to see you in person. Also, LOVE the bangs.

Teresa said...

Thanks! We're looking forward to being in your neck of the woods too! Though I promise to cancel any play dates if we're sick... ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails