November 17, 2010

getting my craft on

Let me start by setting the record straight, I am remarkably uncrafty. I am a person whose hobbies have never entered the craft realm. In my free time I like to read, travel, swim, cook, or just be quiet. Is being quiet a hobby?

I'm not joking ya'll.  I sat down to stitch up some rags as practice a few months ago and my bobbin got all twisted and I just unplugged my sewing machine and put it in a corner.

Of course there were a few school assignments including a birdcage built from matchsticks and a paper mache and spackle moon replica that I somehow decided to sponge paint the color of cheese mold.  And then there was that summer in which my sisters and I obsessively tried to make and sell everything in this book to all the kids in our neighborhood (which I am pretty sure was more about the money).
I think we called it "playing carnival."  We didn't even know we were crafting.

However, I have begun to notice a disturbing trend.  As I have settled into a routine around our house, a couple of craft projects have found their way onto my “to do” list.  I personally blame the internet.

The project I am going to share today was inspired 100% by Dana from Made.  Dana convinced me one day that I too could dye fabric if I tried. Her no-big-deal approach to this project made me go and get all fancy on myself and make it more difficult than she did.

I like to call this project - "why throw away a brand new pair of pants that faded weird in the wash – when all you have to do is dye them twice."

Step One: Research the bucket-in-the-sink method of fabric dyeing.  Pay attention to details such as weighing the fabric to figure out the amount of water to include but completely discount the importance of removing the dye already in the fabric or other equally essential steps as outlined by both Dana's tutorial and the RIT dye site.  
Step Two:  Listen to your husband while he is shocked and dismayed as his pants return to their original wierd dye pattern and wonder when you are going to find the time to do this again.  Let three weeks go by.

Step Three: Decide upon trying the washing-machine-method, because you really don't care about the risk of your washing machine discoloring this time.  Read the instructions on the bottle.  Realize they are in Spanish and turn the bottle around.  Act shocked when you realize that you neglected to put a cup of salt in your first dye bath.  Follow the instructions to the letter.  Enlist the help of your friendly neighborhood mollusk to check that you are in fact 1) removing the residual fabric dye before you begin and 2) adding all of the required ingredients to the dye bath.
Step Four: Be proud of the fact that for less than a new pair of pants your husband once again has a pair of pants that isn't faded strangely and check that crafty item off your "to do" list.

Ummm. Yeah. Now a little bit of take away:
~ Dana was right.  I too can dye fabric any color I want to.  Thanks for convincing me Dana!
~ I HATE following directions.
~ I LOVE making things more complicated than they should be.
~ Crafting ain't that bad as long as I follow the directions and stop trying to complicate matters. 

Either way.  If I can do it, you can do it.  Just don't take my word for it, and if you are crazy enough to take my word for it, go ahead and skip steps one and two.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails