November 10, 2010

a shift in perspective

When I woke up I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days.
I left my phone in the car this morning.  It's in the center console, right underneath the tape deck.  (Which makes me wonder: Are we the only people left on earth with a tape deck in our car?)

I spent half an hour nosing my way around the university's online account site until it crashed.  It's getting close to final exam time and next semester registration time and I want to ensure no snags and snares.  Turns out there are no holds, and surprise of surprises there is a refund waiting for us.

I discovered the phone was in the car when I thought to call the cashier's office at the university before walking down to pick up a refund check - after all it's not my name on the payment line.  I wanted to make sure they would let me pick up the check sitting in their outbox.  Online I found info for parents, but not spouses.  However, I was too lazy to go get my phone and so I decided to make my call on Google Talk.  Thank you Google for making it even easier for me to do what I need to when I am both forgetful and lazy.

My planning was in vain.  They didn't pick up the phone.  I listened to the introductory message.  I pressed 4 as instructed.  Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Instead of a person I got a recording.  The one about how I was calling outside of business hours.  It was 10:30 in the morning.

I was about to get indignant about public institutions and harumph about getting what you pay for when I decided to shift my perspective.  I see no point in that logic - it's a refund I'm after.  Remember?

Instead I'll just walk the half mile to their office.  I wonder if that is what they're hoping we all do when they provide such profound telephone support.  Not that it matters.  I am grateful that someone failed to switch the tape and ran me straight to a voice-mail with no inbox.  Thank you.  I do appreciate having a reason to go enjoy this beautiful fall weather.  Today I am not going to worry about being the most efficient me - I am going to find a balance.  I suppose this means that I'll go take a stroll and see if I can get this item crossed off of my list.  Instead of dreading this day of forgetfulness, I'm taking it as my own and going to enjoy what it brings.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails