November 2, 2010

a year of not eating out

{It seems fitting that my hammer and nails are lying on the sideboard.  Work in progress!}

We are more than a quarter of the way through our year of not eating out and I feel ready to tackle the project in writing.  I had planned on sharing our adventure a bit more than I have, but some surprising reactions {including our own} stopped me in my tracks.  However, I am really convicted about this choice and am ready to share the journey. 

Over the next few days I am going to bring you up to speed with the why’s and the how’s and the what does this mean’s.  By the end of this week I hope to have our first quarter wrapped up and begin a weekly update on what has been happening in regards to this personal choice and this year in our lives.  But today is simply an introduction and invitation.

First I am going to start with the most basic question, the what. 

I realize that I really should tell you what I am talking about.  I have dropped three sentences into this blog over the last three months regarding this choice we have made, that, my friends is a bit cryptic and not very friendly at all.    

The quick and dirty is that we set ourselves a benchmark that we very truly would like to achieve.  It looked something like this in our minds:

GOAL: NOT eat out for a year.

Before returning to the US we decided that we would spend our first year stateside cooking at home.  And so after a bit of deliberation, we declared that from August of 2010 to August of 2011 we would not eat out.

And so.  That is the what.  Or that was the what, until Monday.

On November 1st we re-evaluated that goal and decided to tweak the narrative a bit. 

GOAL:   NOT eat out for a year.
    This is our year of eating in. 

While the change is semantic, it is also an intentional shift from a NO to a YES.  We found that our no, while generally accepted didn’t fully account for the reality of life and was also a bit abrasive.  This choice that we made for many reasons all of a sudden needed to be justified.  It felt isolating.  It felt restricting.  This choice, when introduced to real life became about the definition of rules, adjusting of plans to accommodate us when we didn’t expect it.  This unforeseen consequence didn’t sit well with either of us.  This choice that had started out as a goal, a benchmark, a finish line began to feel like a corner.  We realized it was a corner we had put ourselves into by holding our hands out and saying NO.

And so we have begun our second quarter of this year hand in hand, arms open, saying yes.  We are celebrating a year of eating in.  We are challenging me to finding a rhythm in the kitchen.  We are encouraging hospitality instead of convenience.  We are welcoming all to experience this journey with us.  And we are resetting the clock.  On November 1 we began again.  Welcome to our year of eating in.

Come back tomorrow do discover one more piece.  the why's.

I have linked up this post with Tuesdays Unwrapped, a weekly celebration of moments of joy hosted by Emily@Chatting at the Sky because this change from no to yes has brought my heart peace and calm.

7 comments:

Jeri@GodsDreamsForMe Ⓥ said...

Sounds like a fun adventured! Your positive attitude shows in changing it from "not eating out" to "eating in".

Undeserving Grace said...

I like the idea. I think we complicate our lives with the simple things such as eating out anyways. Kudos to you for the next year. I'm excited to see how it goes.

SmallWorld at Home said...

Love it. We stopped eating out, for the most part, 4 years ago. We have money set aside to eat out once each month, but we have gotten to where we don't even do that anymore--most of the time.

maria said...

what a noble and great goal!!! so admirable!!!

Dayle said...

I find that setting small goals works better for me, than setting the big ones. As you said, some goals go against reality and can put us in a corner. In your case, I would probably do better saying I'm not eating out, one week at a time. :)

All the best in achieving your goal.

Teresa said...

Thank you for the kind words and support! This is definitely a journey we're excited to be taking together.

It's funny to think that eating in feels so radical considering that both of our families ate dinner as a family at home at table all throughout our childhoods.

:)

Feel free to ask any questions that pop into your mind!

Renegades said...

Wow what a goal. I'm not sure I could stick to it. Nice job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails