December 11, 2010

11 things on the 11th day to leave behind as I move to 2011

Things.
[What are 11 things that your life doesn’t need in 2011?  How will you go about eliminating them?  How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?]
 {all of our worldly possessions, tied up with a bow}

Eleven things to remove, how to eliminate and what I will gain.  Wow.  I don't have so much stuff to begin with.  i spent most of 2010 making changes and erasing habits and patterns that didn’t suit the life I dare to live, but there are a few skeletons in my closet that I can shake out and toss into the nether.

My old rice cooker.
I was planning on free-cycling it to someone in our building and never made the signs.  I think it might be time to find that little buddy a new home. 
These packets of seeds in my desk drawer.
I have the pots, the dirt and the seeds.  I simply have to plant them.  Sometimes container gardening is more difficult than it seems.  Like right now, when you are a procrastinator in search of drainage rocks in the winter.
Time alone.
Within the first six months of my marriage, I said goodbye to my spouse for the next fifteen.  That time alone shaped the beginning of us.  Now time together defines us.  Over the next two and a half years my husband and I have been gifted with a tremendous amount of time together.  When we are together I want to seek his company and not disappear between the pages of a book, into the kitchen or behind a computer screen.  This time together is a gift that I want to utilize to its fullest.
The Un-achieved Goals.
There are two goals that I set for myself in the Spring of 2009 that have not been checked off my list.  It is time to see them through.  This will give me success and I'll finally get those two tasty carrots that are dangling before me.
Wasted Food.
I have been surprised by how little goes bad or is left uneaten so far during this year of not eating out.  In 2011 I would like to increase my mindfulness when purchasing and virtually eliminate food waste from our lives.
Reality TV.
I am not sure I really need to address how letting this go will improve my life, but I'll miss my buddy Bruce.
Reliance upon our car for getting around town.
I am lucky to live in a small community with a free and prolific bus system, and yet I still use my car to run the simplest of errands.  While I live somewhere that can sustain an alternative, I would like to take greater advantage of the choice.
Pulling my grays.
I have been known to stand in front of the bathroom mirror and pull the gray hairs that have begun to grace my crown.  They have in recent months begun to come in fast and furious and 2011 might just be the year that I decide to give into the gray.
Paper in the Kitchen.
I want to go back to relying upon cloth napkins and kitchen towels.  I have them in my drawers and would like to utilize them daily.
1,000 pounds of books.
After seven eight moves in five years, our backs can no longer handle the shifting of so many tomes.  {I was reminded that I forgot one when I did my quick count...but no books were moved in that move from bachelor pad to marital home...so I came back and corrected on 12.14}
Promises that I don’t intend to keep.
One of the greatest challenges in moving towards a more intentional life has been learning to not commit to doing unless it will be done.  And so.  An exercise is just that.  We will see where I am a year from now, progress will have been made…but as has been said, to err is human and I am simply that.
Have a look see at more lists of 11 @Reverb10.

2 comments:

julochka said...

good list...i would also like to waste less food and only use cloth in the kitchen. i should have put some concrete things like that on my list of 11 things - instead, mine were all intangible states of emotion and such. i'll have to keep these things in mind when it comes time to make those new year's resolutions.

don't you love how reverb10 is making you ponder things?

Teresa said...

I do love the pondering...having a prompt for my writing is something I haven't had for a decade and the exercise is pulling at my brain in the most wonderful way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails