December 15, 2010

The drought is over and I cannot stop consuming.

December 14: Appreciate
[What's the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?]

My local library.
Living among words that I could not read made me crave the company of books, a desire partially sated by a thoughtful friend who would slip a few books into my arms each time we met.  To make up for lost time, and repair the damage done by reading North & South, I indulge myself with weekly trips to the library. 
 
{this week's reading}

Despite the shift towards digital readers, one of the first things I did when the boxes were unpacked was stop by my local branch and get my very own library card.  Fiction, non-fiction, audio, video…my appetite for library materials is voracious and indiscriminate.  One aspect of reading from the library pool that pleases me most is the randomness of what I read.  I revel in the choosing from this discreet collection and remind myself of inter-library loan when something is missing that I seek.  Sometimes I take an extra moment to wander down the aisle to see if a spine catches my eye and as I walk I inhale the intoxicating scent of aging paper, dust and well worn words.

1 comment:

stephanie said...

That's good! One of my goals has been to read more but I just haven't gotten myself to do that... just yet

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails