December 19, 2010

Japan

December 15: 5 minutes.
[ Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.]

Memories of where I was.
My recollections of my life also seem to have limited staying power and the memories of 2010 are no different from any other.  And so, I have sat for a week with this prompt terrified that if I took five minutes that at the end I would have an empty list.  Instead of letting doubt and distrust of my own mind rule this day I am setting a timer and capturing the year, because if I don’t write it now, it will be gone before long, without much doubt.

This is what I remembered:

That magnificent run along Lake Suwa.
Aching painful toes.
Crime scene photography in Japan and not being able to stop laughing.
Having to stop in order for the monkeys to cross the road.
Three story descents to the toilet.
The morning ritual of starting the heaters, and running the bath in order to survive the cold.
Finding the fox shrine.
Being lost and yet learning to comprehend.
Sharing it with LittleSis.
Riding bikes with my husband.
Conbinis.
My students.
Awkwardness and failed communications.
Classes that were six flights of stairs away and five minutes to get there.
The clover carpet in our backyard.
The joy of trading omiyagi with my girlfriends.
Unexpected waterfalls and the aquamarine blue of sulfur fed rivers.
Having half of my goodbye taken.
Tokyo.
The act of leaving a place that I loved.
The act of returning home.

Apparently 2010 was not just the year I returned home, but the year I left Japan.  Oh Japan, how I miss thee.

Have a look see at what others are remembering over at Reverb10.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails