December 22, 2010

Presence...presents...the gift of time...


"But essentially the camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own"
                                                                                                        - Susan Sontag, Camera Lucida

A quick recap. Friday afternoon signaled an end to exams around here.  And much of my alone time has been newly shared.  Saturday was spent cavorting under a Christmas tree.  Sunday was the day of the Great Lie In.  Monday was devoted to wandering around the mall and saying S#!@! at inopportune moments for dramatic effect.  Tuesday was spent circling the free sample chocolates, cheeses and wines at A Southern Season.  Today was spent recovering from the chocolate, wine and cheese coma.  But all of the time was shared.  This is a novelty that I want never to wear off.

All of this time has been what I have wanted for a Christmas season.  No stress about gifts.  Only the busting into the Christmas stockings early because they were filled with cola and Almond Joys.  I haven't followed through here with Reverb 10 quite like I intended, but I got stumped and decided it was best to continue the journey in my journal until I find the time to post the way I want to.  And, now, if you'll excuse me, all I want to do is kiss my sweet under the mistletoe.  We don't have any...but I've been spotting in the trees since the leaves left, and I think we might just pause for some smooches if we get out of the house and hit the trails in the morning.

Merry Christmas, and to all a goodnight.  I might not be back until the new year, and possibly after our move.  Life right now is for the living and I am growing wary of my tendency to become a tourist in my own life.

4 comments:

julochka said...

a bit belated merry christmas, but just in time for new year's. :-) it sounds blissful not to be worrying about presents - i wish we'd done that in earnest this year. but there's always next year.

a real mistletoe out in the trees sounds like it's much better for kissing than the little sprig you can buy.

happy new year!
xox,
/j

stephanie said...

Oh would you please please please share the recipe for brik please!

Eva said...

k i know it's not christmas anymore...but i want that egg nog AND those cookies right now...

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

Pandora Poikilos said...

Hi! We recently added your blog to our Blog-A-Licious library! Do keep your great posts coming! And do come have a look at the other Blog-A-Licious Blogs on our list.
Cheers - Dora
http://blogaliciousblogs.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails