December 11, 2010

#Reverb10 - days six through ten

[What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it.]

The last thing I made was breakfast. 

I love cooking with all of my heart and soul, even if it is something as frying an egg for breakfast.  The act of feeding others makes me feel as if I am doing something right. 

Furoshiki
As for my next leap into the making of things, the table is currently covered with fabric and the ironing board is out.  I need to take the plunge and do some quick stitching of Japanese wrapping cloths so that I can wrap and send birthday presents to a very special young lady.

[Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?]

The loss of an unexpected community and a desire to connect through shared experience.

I found community in the Nurse's room.  I started sneaking into her office once a week to check my progress in 2009.  At first I would try to do so when no one was around, but after a few months I realized I enjoyed the community of our budding friendship.  We exchanged treats and sought understanding across a language divide.

I am cautiously seeking community as I move towards 2011.  My native itinerancy is in direct conflict with the development of strong ties, though I suppose my framing through Reverb10 is just that.

[Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.]

My ankles, I mean strength.
When I asked my then newly wedded husband to share something he remembered from the day when we first met, I was seeking a kernel of knowledge, a reason why he loved me.  He answered me in a way I would have never expected.  He told me he loved me because of my strong ankles.  It was at that moment that I wondered where the romance had gone, but I understood his sentiment. 

My ankles make me beautiful because they are a symbol of my inability to turn back, my determination to always move forward.

[What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. ]

Onbashira. 

I while we welcomed my final Spring in Japan and was able to experience one of the quirkiest festivals around.  Nothing says party like sake flowing and all the men of your district riding massive logs down mountains.

[What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?]

To let life be what it will be and find contentment in what is.

I have spent a lifetime focused on what is coming down the road instead of enjoying the moments held within each day.  This year I have begun to learn what it means to embrace the journey without so much as a thought towards the destination.

...
And so now I have caught up.  Days six through ten challenged me more than the first five.  I look forward to reflecting and writing on the daily prompts with more time and consideration and hopping around to see the lenses that each of you are using to frame the year we are wrapping up.

1 comment:

julochka said...

i agree about 6-10, tho' the one i keep returning to in my mind is the "one word" prompt. i'm still not sure i've found the right word. and in some sense, i can't really imagine narrowing it to just one. for a whole year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails