June 9, 2011

Getting in the Pool

When we found out we were expecting, one of the first things Phil encouraged me to do was to get back into the pool routinely.  I knew that I wanted exercise through this pregnancy, a feeling that was validated recently by a New York Times article {linked here} regarding the positive effect of exercise on fetal development.  The husband's latest mantra was born: "You have been graced with a gift, now is the best time in your life to use it."

{rapidly escaping into the ocean on Memorial Day weekend}

He was right, but despite being a lover of water, it has taken me a while to get into a legitimate solid routine.  Fitness is something we like to do together, but the transition to the pool would mean traveling those miles without Phil.  We have managed to still build time into our days and have begun to play tennis and disc golf together a few times a week, because we both miss the joy of talking while we jog. 

{77 degree waters and it took an act of Congress and the sunset to get me out of the water.  Phil is pointing out the sun on the horizon to me as a motivation to head back to camp.}

I also got a bit frustrated because within the first couple of weeks my suit became uncomfortably tight from shoulder to crotch.  Just months earlier I had proudly disposed of all of my suits larger than a 34.  {I won't go into what my legs did within my first trimester...let's just say I felt like I was walking on two kielbasa in my suit.}  Thank goodness I had held onto a fitness two piece, I was able to get into the pool while I searched for a one piece that would take me through my pregnancy.

I was flabbergasted when I started searching for a one piece fitness maternity suit.  Honestly.  I did find an AWESOME swimwear company EQ Swimwear.  They had two options with a multitude of color choices.  {Because what is the deal with black maternity suits.  I am having a baby, not going to a funeral.}  I emailed the company and told them I had no idea what size I would be.  They had me place the order for one suit & sent me two sizes to try with a postage paid return envelope for the one that didn't work.


Now here I am, five months into this pregnancy and swimming more than I have since high school.  I set a goal at the beginning of my fourth month to swim a mile, five times a week for three months.  Despite having all the gear and four pools to choose from, I was finding that I lacked the motivation to actually GET INTO THE WATER.  I was managing a swim or two a week during my first trimester with the occasional week off, but I was spending many more hours mentally prepping for that first minute in the pool than actually getting wet.  Until one afternoon I was complaining about the fact that the water was only 80 degrees and Phil gave me a bit of a gut check.  "Your parents gave you an awesome gift in teaching you to swim.  Take that skill, take that love and give the gift to your daughter.  If there is any time in your life that you should be in the pool, it's now.  No matter what the water temperature."

You know what? He was absolutely right.  I feel great when I am pacing the pool.  I can feel the littlest one move with me as I stroke.  I have cut the dread and now keep my suit, towel and goggles at the front door.  The lifeguards know my name and help me keep count {a real problem with me} and last night I was asked to move into the fast lane, which was really more of a statement on the relative age of my fellow lane users, but still, I was one proud momma ducking under the rope and finishing out with a sprint set.
PS - I actually have 2 maternity suits.  The other one is from Pez d'Or and is a tankini so really is just for vanity.  Of the three items of maternity clothing purchased, two have been swim suits.  This little one is going to earn her chops as a water baby.

1 comment:

julochka said...

it's great that you're swimming. i find what you say about getting out there is true even if one isn't pregnant and it's running or biking or something else one should do. what is it? i LOVE it once i'm out there, but getting out there is somehow so hard. hang in there, your water baby will thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails